There are two areas for posting information. The Front Door display area is limited to advertising Gallery Shows and Programs. The bulletin board in the kitchen is available to display any art related information that would be of interest to our members. All forms are available on line for downloading and can also be found in our kitchen on the display racks.
Forms include Membership Form, Classes Registration Form, Member Gallery Show Agreement and Waiver, Group Show Agreement and Waiver and Workshop Registration Form.
Click here to print a current Calendar of Events
Visit our Photo Gallery to see photos from our Gallery Shows, Demos, Workshops, and other special events.
Open Studio Mondays and Fridays
Members who wish to paint in the back room on Mondays from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm or Fridays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm are welcome to let themselves into the gallery. Please note: when there is a Demo night or event the gallery may not be available for Open Studio on a Monday evening.
Please contact us if you would like to learn how to open/close the gallery.
All members are welcome to come in and paint in our bright studio/workshop space.
The RHGA has a collection of art related material housed in the kitchen in the black cupboard.
Members are welcome borrow books to enjoy at home.
The RHGA is a non-profit organization and relies wholly upon its members to assist with the Group’s operations. Every member is encouraged to be active and help maintain the Mill Pond Gallery and our facilities. Let us know where you feel you can be of most assistance to the Group by emailing us at email@example.com .
Spring Fling – Member Group Show and Sale
Painting Drop off date: Monday, May 14 – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
Show Dates: Saturday and Sunday, May 19&20, May 26&27
Each member is invited to submit up to 2 original works of art for our annual Spring Fling Member Group Show. Let’s celebrate the return of the sunshine and warm weather with gallery full of colour!
In order to exhibit your work, you must:
• Be an active member, in good standing, of the Richmond Hill Group of Artists;
• Framing: Paintings under glass must be framed with acid free mats and acid free tape and finished on the back with backing paper.
• Canvases: For framed canvases backing paper is not required. Unframed ‘Gallery Canvas’ and regular canvases are now accepted provided that the edges are painted, and there are no staples on sides to give the piece an overall finished look. All paintings must have wire hangers; Warped canvases will not be accepted. Show committee has the authority to reject a piece because of improper framing;
• Labeling: All paintings must be labeled on the back using the Group Show Title Strips document
• Registration fee is $5 per piece; this fee is non refundable.
• Agree to pay a commission of 20% of all sales during or within the following 30 days, of any show;
• When you drop off your artwork you will sign up for one 3.5 hour Gallery Show monitoring shift. If you are unable to attend your shift you will be required to hire another member and pay the $10/hour fee.
• Be familiar with the opening & closing of the gallery & tasks required while you sit your shift (see Gallery Group Show Procedures document)
Annual General Meeting and BBQ Dinner
Monday, June 11 – 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Your attendance is requested at this very important meeting. Please plan to attend. The 2018-19 Executive/Board will be nominated and voted on by you, the membership. Make your vote count. Let us know how important the RHGA is to you!
The 2018-19 Executive /Board will be made up of 9 positions. Three positions are Board positions. The remaining 6 positions are Executive positions. Together, the Board and Executive will meet approximately once a month on a Monday evening. All members are eligible to nominate themselves for a position. At the AGM, each self-nominated member will have the opportunity to provide a brief introduction and what they plan to bring to the administration of the group. Job Descriptions.
* Consider your level of involvement this year with the RHGA
As a ‘not for profit’ group the very foundation of our group lies in the commitment of our volunteers. No one gets paid for their efforts but we all benefit from what the group has to offer. If you are thinking of nominating yourself for any of these positions and would like to have more info before making this decision please contact Andrea through our email. She will be happy to answer any questions you have.
Please consider any one of the Board/Executive positions and/or let us know how you can help.
* If you absolutely cannot attend, we ask that you attend by proxy.
Complete the Proxy Form; include the member’s name that is bringing it and your signature. You can also scan the signed proxy and email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org. or leave it in the Gallery mailbox before the AGM. Please note: This is a proxy to form quorum. It does not give a member present at the meeting more than one vote.
Member Weekend Gallery Show Sign Up
Show Request Deadline – Friday, June 1
Mandatory Information Session – Monday, May 28 at 7:00 pm
It is time to book your RHGA Member Weekend Gallery Show for September 2018 to June 2019.
In your Weekend Gallery Show request please include the following information:
- All the names of the artists who will be showing if it is a group.
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice for the weekend you wish to book. Each choice must be in a different month. ( For example your first choice may be a weekend in June, your second a weekend in April and your 3rd choice a weekend in March.)
- If you would like to display with other members and need help finding a show partner(s), please let us know this.
- If you wish to book a solo show indicate whether you would use the front room or upstairs. We will book a second solo artist for the second room.
- You are required to be present for your show and have the gallery open on Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Show poster and promotion is your responsibility. We can provide you with some ideas.
- You may only show original artwork that you have created. You may not show student artwork created outside of the Mill Pond Gallery.
- You must leave the gallery clean for the next artist. That includes cleaning up the kitchen and removing any leftover food.
- You must use our hanging system to hang your work. No nail holes are to be made in the walls.
- Please read the Gallery Show Agreement and Waiver and provide us with a signed copy.
Summer Air Artist in Residence Program
Request Deadline – Friday, June 1
Mandatory Information Session – Monday, May 28 at 7:00 pm
The Summer Artist in Residence Program will run again this July and August.
Interested artists must agree to keep the gallery open Tuesday to Friday from 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm (10:00 pm on Thursday evening) and 11:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday and Sunday.
Mondays the Front Room gallery will be used for Open Studio while summer camps are held in the back room.
You will share the week with another artist as this time commitment is big. Both artists you do not both have to be there at all times.
Each residency starts on Friday and ends the following Thursday at 10:00 pm. Thursdays throughout the summer the Town runs a very well attended Concert in the Park series and there is a lot of traffic through the gallery.
The goal of this program is to have the gallery open daily, all summer long. We have heard a lot of positive feedback from the public in the past 3 summers.
Artists hang their work in the Front Room Gallery and Upstairs Gallery and use the Front Room Gallery as a studio space to create artwork throughout the week. This is an opportunity to promote yourself, and in return you are promoting the Mill Pond Gallery, RHGA and all the programs we run.
Week 1 – June 28 to July 5
Week 2 – July 6 to July 12
Week 3 – July 13 to July 19
Week 4 – July 20 to July 26
Week 5 – July 27 to Aug 2
Week 6 – Aug 3 to Aug 9
Week 7 – Aug 10 to Aug 16
Week 8 – Aug 17 to Aug 23
Week 9 – Aug 24 to Aug 30 *
*Thursday, Aug 30 there will not be a concert in the park, but if there is an interested member we can book this last week of August as well.
The RHGA provides its membership with a number of display opportunities in our gallery space.
The RHGA organizes 3 members’ group shows each year. To participate in a group show you must be a member of the RHGA. Each artist may submit up to 3 paintings. There is a small administration fee of $5.00/painting, $10.00 for 2 paintings. The drop off date is on Monday evening before the show and pick up date is on Monday after the show. The RHGA retains a 20% commission on all sales. Please read the Group Show Agreement and Waiver for complete instructions. Each artists must volunteer to sit a 3 1/2 hour shift during the show. Details for upcoming shows will be forwarded to the membership or refer to our Calendar of Events page for dates.
Individual Gallery Shows
Individual gallery show bookings take place once a year in June. You may book one show/calendar year, however if there are available weekends once sign up is completed you may participate in more then one show. You may have a solo show or invite other RHGA members to join your show. At the time of booking you must complete the Member Exhibition Agreement and Waiver and provide an image of your work as well as a short description of your show to be used for publicity. Gallery Shows are posted on several On-Line Calendars in the region. It is your responsibility to publicise your show beyond this, we can provide you with some ideas and suggestions. The RHGA retains a 20% commission on all sales.
RHGA Annual Juried Show
Our premier event of the year is our Annual RHGA Juried Show. To participate in the Juried show you must be a member of the RHGA for a minimum of 6 months. Each artist may submit up to 3 paintings. There is a small administration fee of $5.00/painting, $10.00 for 2 paintings. Paintings are juried into the show by a panel of independent artists. The drop off date is on Monday or Tuesday evening before the show and pick up date is on Monday after the show. Please read the Juried Show Agreement and Waiver for complete instructions. Each artists must volunteer to sit a 3 1/2 hour shift during the show. The RHGA retains a 20% commission on all sales.
The RHGA participates in numerous community and national events throughout the year. We currently have 3 locations for displaying your work in the community.
The Markham Theatre Annual February Show and Sale
The Markham Theatre group show is held annually for the month of February.
Sunnybrook Hospital Annual Summer Show
Show Coordinator, Annette Hansen email@example.com
Mackenzie Health Hospital
Year round show, paintings are changed every 3-4 months.
A call for submissions will be sent out.
Show Coordinator, Haleh Dehlavi firstname.lastname@example.org